In preparing some work for a client this week, I returned to the work of Peter Drucker for inspiration. Here are his thoughts on what makes an effective executive:
- Ask what needs to be done
- Ask what’s right for the business
- Develop action plans
- Take responsibility for decisions
- Take responsibility for communicating
- Focus on opportunities, not problems
- Run productive meetings
- Say ‘We’ not ‘I’
I have always enjoyed the simplicity of his ideas - to me this makes them more useable. There is much to read behind these headlines but you could literally start by doing these 8 things and not read another word.
If you would like to read more though, take a look here.